Let’s talk about how to send someone your documents and how to rename your documents. Twenty years from now, when your kids ask you, Mom/Dad, why are you so awesome? You tag them to this post. This is how much important this lesson is, in my opinion:
- It does not matter who and why you are sending a document. Always write the back story. “As per our discussion over the phone”. “Hi, this is Faisal; we met at Khan’s new year Party”. “Hi Arsalan, as we discussed in person, I am attaching my report on the number of hours you spent on the phone”. “Hello Jimmy, I hope this email finds you well. This is Faisal; we discussed a few opportunities available in your organizing while having a Turkish bath in Matera”. You get the picture.
2. Always name your documents properly, as shown in the image. Always start with the Last name, First name, and then document the description if you send the document to a stranger. If you guys know each other or that person is expecting a particular document from you, it’s a different story.
3. If you have any additional documents (Additional certificates you want to share) start their name with a number, so they open the most important one first. Not a certificate you were awarded when you were 15 for being on the debate team. It is important but not as important as the one you received for the best paper at a conference.
4. Before pressing send, always think is this the best format for the person receiving this document. Will it be more useful for him to get the data in an excel file or a PDF file? Will he have AutoCad or whatever software you used to generate files installed on his computer? If not, then make it easy for the receiver to read your documents.
5. You ask me why you should do this? Let’s say six months from now, Jimmy has an opportunity, and he remembers that the naked guy I met while having a Turkish bath is a good fit for this job. Do you think he will go and scroll six months old emails or write the keywords and see if he can find you? The same goes for the professor; once he downloads your file, make it easy for him to locate you.